10 Things to Know for Today
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about Monday:
1. WHO MAY HAVE HELPED MEXICAN OFFICIALS LOCATE DRUG LORD
Sean Penn's secret Rolling Stone magazine interview with Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman could have unwittingly aided the hunt for the cartel chief, Mexican officials say.
2. IT'S THE 'BIGGEST JACKPOT IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD'
That's what a lottery official says the estimated $1.3 billion Powerball payoff will be by Wednesday's drawing.
3. HOW WATCHDOG GROUP SAYS US GOV'T FAILS AIRLINE PILOTS
The FAA falls short in ensuring pilots keep up their flying skills and get full training on monitoring automated control systems, the Transportation Department's internal watchdog says.
4. WHY CRUZ, TRUMP GENERATE BOTH ENTHUSIASM AND CONCERN
Just weeks before the Iowa caucuses, the two GOP candidates are garnering widespread support from voters -- but are raising fears among party officials who don't believe either of the two can win the White House.
5. 'GHOST' SOLDIERS FILL AFGHAN MILITARY RANKS
Afghan forces struggle to man the front lines against a resurgent Taliban, in part because of untold numbers of troops who are paid salaries but only exist on paper.
6. FRANCE OBSERVES CHARLIE HEDBO ATTACKS ANNIVERSARY
French President Francois Hollande and other dignitaries hold a special ceremony to honor all those killed in Islamic extremist violence around Paris in 2015.
7. WHAT EARNINGS SEASON IS EXPECTED TO REVEAL
Despite a rebounding U.S. jobs market, earnings for companies in the Standard and Poor's 500 index are forecast to drop for the second straight quarter.
8. MOTHER: ORE. ARMED MILITANTS WANT FRENCH VANILLA CREAMER
The mother of the leader of the militia occupying an Oregon wildlife refuge also says the men need food, coffee, cigarettes and other supplies.
9. 'THE REVENANT' WINS BEST FILM AT GOLDEN GLOBES
A year after Alejandro Inarritu's "Birdman" took top honors at the Academy Awards, his follow-up swept three of the top awards at the 73rd annual Golden Globes.
10. NFL WILD-CARD SUNDAY
Blair Walsh misses 27-yard field goal as Seahawks hold on to beat Vikings 10-9; Aaron Rodgers lead the Packers to a 35-18 victory over the Redskins.