Council amends regulations to allow relocation of pawnshop
SIKESTON, Mo. — The Sikeston City Council amended regulations to allow some pawnshops to relocate without restrictions.
At Monday’s meeting, Council approved allowing grandfathered pawnshops to relocate with any restrictions (including restrictions related to distance from residential areas, churches and schools) other than restricted to zoning categories that allow pawnshops.
The situation arose after the City was approached by a pawnshop owner who wanted to relocate his business. Due to city code, he was unable to to move to his desired location because although his current location is already within 500 feet of another pawnshop but was “grandfathered,” the new location is within 500 feet of another location, which was prohibited by city code.
The change in the city code will allow the owner to relocate his business to his desired location.
In other action Monday, Council:
• Conducted the first reading of a property maintenance bill that will change the tall grass modification to 10 inches as being the violation height for tall grass. A second reading will be conducted at the Aug. 6 meeting.
• Conducted the first reading of a bill to replat the Villas at Arbor Walk Subdivision.
• Conducted the first reading of a bill to rezone a tract of land in Wing Lake Estates, 3rd Addition, located south of Colonel George E. Day Parkway and north of U.S. Highway 60 from “AG” Agriculture to “R-4” Two Family Dwellings.
• Conducted the first reading of a bill for a proposed subdivision, Wing Lake Estates, 3rd Addition, located south of Colonel George E. Day Parkway and north of U.S. Highway 60.
• Authorized the Sikeston Department of Public Safety to proceed with applying for the Bryne Jag Grant. The non-shared grant for $14,521 is used to purchase body worn cameras and services contract for video storage.
• Authorized DPS to purchase 10 sets of fire turnout gear from Sentinel Emergency Solutions for $32,881.44.
• Authorized Public Works Code Enforcement Division to buy a used 2012 Chevrolet Crew Cab pickup truck with 47,000 miles for $12,500.
• Authorized Public Works to utilize LCRA funding to purchase two John Deere Z930M mowers from Greenway Equipment Company, Inc., at $9,303.91 each, totaling $18,607.82.
• Rescheduled the regular Council meeting in September from Labor Day to 5 p.m. on Sept. 10.
The next Council meeting is scheduled for Monday at 5 p.m.