Man suspected of shooting deputy, trooper surrendersVAN BUREN — About seven hours after allegedly shooting and wounding two members of law enforcement as they attempted to serve him with an eviction notice, a Van Buren man “gave up peacefully without...
Two wounded in officer-involved shooting In Carter CountyVAN BUREN, Mo. — A state trooper and sheriff’s deputy were injured after being struck by gunfire early Friday in rural Carter County. According to Sgt. Jeff Kinder with the Missouri State Highway...
Water main break closes Moore AvenueSIKESTON — Moore Avenue between Wakefield Avenue and College Avenue in Sikeston is closed to through traffic from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 16 due to a water main break. Sikeston's Board of Municipal...
Portageville School District conducts active shooter training simulationsPORTAGEVILLE - “With recent shootings that have occurred, all the more reason to have these type of trainings in the school,” said Portageville Superintendent Michael Allred. The training referred to...
- Southeast among Princeton Review’s 2020 ‘Best in the Midwest’ (8/16/19)
- Mississippi River Commission to hold public meeting Monday (8/16/19)
- Dexter woman has spent her life rescuing horses – and everything else (8/16/19)
- Awesome day campers (8/16/19)
- BBB urging caution when purchasing tickets for Saturday’s wine tasting event in Cape (8/15/19)
- Dexter man pleads to involuntary manslaughter in fatal boat crash (8/15/19)
- Dexter father appears in court after children test positive for meth (8/15/19)
- Annual Cape Jaycees BBQ Fest set for weekend (8/15/19)
- NMC R-1 prepares to start school (8/15/19)
- Three Rivers in Sikeston growing industrial hemp to help local farmers (8/14/19)
Latest State & Nation News
- WINNING IN GRAND FASHION: Former Sikeston Bulldog Trey Smith hits a go-ahead grand slam to give Paints PCL championshipCAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. — Tuesday was a night to remember for former Sikeston Bulldog Trey Smith. Playing for the Chillicothe Paints in the Prospect League, his team squared off with the Cape Catfish at Capaha Field in Game 3 of the Prospect League championship series...
- Redhawk Notes (Aug. 17): Tasks, focus now becomes more challenging for Southeast
- SEMO secondary now has experience to go with athleticism
- Evan Daugherty emerges from the pack of Pirate QBs (8/17/19)
- Campbell volleyball program hopes depth and leadership leads to repeat success (8/17/19)
- Poplar Bluff softball coach set to leave family business (8/17/19)
School is back in session; drivers need to use caution (8/17/19)Driving to work the other day I was traveling through a school zone. With the speed limit at 20 miles per hour, I was probably not completely abiding by the speed limit. But what shocked me was the...
Too many recycle bins (8/16/19)To the editor, I live on Irene St. in East Prairie, Mo. I have a neighbor that is a junk man/recycler. For those that don’t know what this consists of, let me tell you… There are one dozen recycle...
Classmate info needed (8/14/19)Dear Editor: The Sikeston High School class of 1969 is planning its 50-year class reunion on Sept. 27-28. Event organizers are looking for the following classmates: Mary Applewhite, Dorothy Bonds,...
Rodeo has positive impact on community (8/3/19)It’s that time of year again when Sikeston will take on a look of the old west with people adorning cowboy hats and cowboy boots. The influx of cowboy hats can only mean one thing — the rodeo is in...
Thanks owed to MoDOT for resurfacing projects (7/27/19)Driving along Main Street the other day, I couldn’t help but notice how nice the street is now. While being forced to stop at a light every 100 yards remains, gone are the potholes, large cracks and...
Recent goodbyes were tough but not the end (7/20/19)It’s never easy saying goodbye, and here at the Standard Democrat we have been saying goodbye quite a bit. At the end of May we said goodbye to our publisher, Mike Jensen. After 48 years, Mike, whose...
William Causey (8/16/19)SIKESTON — William Causey, 85, passed away Aug. 15, 2019, at Sikeston Convalescent Center in Sikeston. Born Nov. 15, 1933, in Bethel Springs, Tenn., to the late Lonie and Graple Cecelia (Moore)...
Dathine Milam (8/15/19)BENTON, Mo. — Dathine L. Milam, 93, died Aug. 14, 2019. She was the daughter of the late Willis and Stella Holder Milam. Survivors include: four sisters, Mildred Killough of Bosque Farms, N.M.,...
Darla Allred (8/14/19)EAST PRAIRIE, Mo. — Darla Monisa Woods Allred, 52, died Aug. 12, 2019, at her home in East Prairie. Born Oct. 16, 1966, in Union City, Tenn., to Mary Stowe Woods of Anniston and the late Hulon...
Shelia Gray (8/14/19)HENSLEY, Ark. — Shelia Paulette Tanksley-Gray, 51, formerly of East Prairie, Mo., died Aug. 11, 2019, in Hollister. Born May 18, 1968, in Sikeston, daughter of the late Daniel Tanksley Sr. and Mildred Williams Tanksley, she was a member of the Bingham Road Baptist Church...
Hugh Boon (8/14/19)SIKESTON — Hugh Boon, 64, died Aug. 14, 2019, at Southeast Health in Cape Girardeau. Born Nov. 17, 1954, in Memphis, Tenn., son of the late H.L. and Loyce McFall Boon, he was a member of First Baptist Church of Sikeston, where he served as a deacon and taught the Joyous Fisherman Sunday School Class. He was a master sergeant (retired) of the U.S. Air Force and a human resource manager...
Jimmy Brown (8/13/19)HAYWOOD CITY, Mo. — Jimmy Brown, 71, died Aug. 10, 2019, at the Missouri Delta Medical Center in Sikeston. Born March 11, 1943, in Philadelphia, Miss., son of the late Henry and Daisy Campbell Brown, he was of the Christian belief and had attended Greers Chapel Missionary Baptist Church. He was a farm laborer until he became self-employed in the recycling business...
- FARM HELP
- Legal Assistant
- Postions Available
- DESK CLERK
- CDL DRIVERS
- PAUL'S RECYCLING
- City of Sikeston - Hiring
- Gov. Auction
- MILL EQUIPMENT
- Pat's Variety
- HORSE FARM FOR SALE
- LOCAL CDL DRIVER
- 2 Bdrm., 1.5 baths
- Production Technician
- Garage Sales Week of 8/14
- UNIT LEADER - HABITAT
- LPN & RN
- CONCRETE WORK
- MATERIAL HANDLERS
- CNAs & Homemakers
- UNIT LEADER - FAMILY & COMM. SERV.
- TORCH PERSON
- NEWSPAPER CARRIER
- DRIVER & METAL ROOM
- LABORERS WELDERS
- Ferrell Excavating
- MOVE IN BONUS
- Educator - Secretary