Mississippi County sheriff pleads guilty to fraud and identity theft, agrees to resignST. LOUIS, Mo. — Cory Hutcheson, 35, of East Prairie pled guilty to wire fraud and to illegally possessing and transferring the means of identification of others, in this case mobile telephone...
Helping hands: Eagles Closet opens doors for othersNEW MADRID, Mo. — Gloria Houston knows the Eagles Closet is making a difference. Houston has watched the Eagles Closet grow from an idea to a reality. She has seen the smiles on the faces of those...
Ready, set, shop! Stores plan ‘Black Friday’ deals through the weekendSIKESTON — With the countdown to the unofficial start to the holiday shopping season — Black Friday — underway, many retailers have already started offering their sales and promotions. According to a...
Holiday will be sunny with highs in the 50sSIKESTON — The forecast for Thanksgiving day in Sikeston is sunny with a high near 57 degrees and a low around 39 degrees, which seems to be about normal or slightly above average in comparison to...
- Four arrested after Sikeston DPS serves search warrants for heroin (11/19/18)
- One killed in six-vehicle accident on Interstate 55 (11/18/18)
- No place like home: Beydler is Sikeston R-6’s first GYOT student teacher (11/16/18)
- Leadership conference (11/16/18)
- Patrol urges drivers to use caution when traveling over holiday (11/16/18)
- Southeast expanding Autism Center services to Sikeston campus (11/16/18)
- Scott County R-4 School District hires new superintendent for 2019-2020 school year (11/16/18)
- Former Sikeston student jailed for making terroristic threat (11/15/18)
- Missourians advised to use caution during, after winter storm (11/15/18)
- Early-season snowfall drops 1-3 inches of snow across Southeast Missouri (11/15/18)
- Sikeston man jailed after shooting wife in the neck
- One killed in six-vehicle accident on Interstate 55
- Four arrested after Sikeston DPS serves search warrants for heroin
- Former Sikeston student jailed for making terroristic threat
- No place like home: Beydler is Sikeston R-6’s first GYOT student teacher
Latest State & Nation News
- SD BOYS BASKETBALL PREVIEW: Bluejays boys basketball look to utilize speed, defense this seasonCHARLESTON, Mo. — Last season, the Charleston boys basketball team was one win away from a state championship. The Bluejays, though, fell short; losing 63-58 to Hogan Prep Academy Charter and ending its season with a 25-9 record. Losing the likes of Demarcus Sharp, Mardareyon Clark, and Jeremy Tucker will be three tough holes to fill as Charleston is hoping to avenge last season’s state final defeat. ...
- PREP VOLLEYBALL: Bloomfield’s Below makes all-state team
- Southeast Missouri State football's Matukewicz is finalist for coach of the year award
- MISSOURIAN ROUNDUP: Oran girls basketball cruises to season-opening win over Malden
- Southeast Missouri State men's basketball falls to host South Alabama in tourney finale
- Jackson's Hahn signs letter of intent with Southeast Missouri State baseball (11/19/18)
Take time to reflect on why you’re thankful (11/17/18)I was watching a sitcom this week where one of the main characters was weighing an important decision. To help him navigate the decision, he took pencil and paper and started a pros and cons list. I...
Recount worth it if persons responsible are punished (11/14/18)Something is terribly wrong when the fate of our national political direction boils down to recounts. Ballot recounts underway in Florida clearly don’t pass the smell test. The American public is...
Election is over; Now it’s time for ... Christmas?! (11/10/18)How about that election? Okay, that’s the last political word today because this column comes from the politic-free zone. Let’s talk Christmas. Granted, I’m coming late to this conversation since...
Christmas Kettle Campaign volunters needed in Sikeston (11/7/18)Dear Mike, In 1891 the Salvation Army started the Christmas Kettle effort as a means to provide a free Christmas dinner for area poor. Today, the Christmas Kettle Campaign of the Sikeston Area...
Every vote counts: Please remember to vote Tuesday (11/3/18)There was a time when newspaper political endorsements carried enormous weight. Long before radio and television, not to mention today’s social media, readers often relied on the opinion of...
As election nears, another campaign is already heating up (10/31/18)In just a week, the critical midterm election will be over and, unfortunately, the campaign will begin anew. If you naively thought that somehow we would get a reprieve from the non-stop political...
Mabel SimsCHARLESTON, Mo.— Mabel Marie Kidd Sims, 81, died Nov. 2018, at at the Delta South Nursing Center in Sikeston. Born Jan. 8, 1937, in Wyatt, daughter of the late Woodrow W. Kidd and Elsie M. Williams...
Keith Miller (11/19/18)ESSEX, Mo. — James “Keith” Miller, 52, died Nov. 19, 2018, at his home in Essex. Born June 30, 1966, in Poplar Bluff, son of James Luther “Jim” Miller and the late Karen Sue Mann Miller, he had...
Russell Borders (11/19/18)CHARLESTON, Mo. — Thomas Russell Borders, 74, died Nov. 18, 2018, at the Landmark Hospital in Cape Girardeau. Born July 31, 1944, at Charleston, son of the late George Dewey Borders and Nancy Oscille...
Gary Walz (11/18/18)SIKESTON —Gary Steven Walz, 65, died Nov. 17, 2018, at his home in Sikeston. Arrangements are incomplete at Nunnelee Funeral Chapel.
Diane Smith (11/18/18)PORTAGEVILLE, Mo. — Diane Smith, 66, died Nov. 14, 2018, at Missouri Delta Medical Center in Sikeston. Born June 11, 1952, in St. Louis, daughter of the late Velma Pennington Tubb and Hamilton Tubb, she was a member of J.Y. Church of God. On Oct. 2, 1971, in St. Louis, she married Greg Smith, who survives of the home in Portageville...
Nellie Sapp (11/18/18)MARSTON, Mo. — Nellie Marie Sapp, 92, died Nov. 17, 2018, at New Madrid Living Center in New Madrid. Born Dec. 29, 1925, in New Madrid County, daughter of the late Georgia Moorman and George Martin, She worked for McDonnell Douglas for years as a buyer, also AA Quick Plumbing since 1975 and owned and operated Nellie Quick Shop in Edmundson...