Scott County circuit clerk resigns, accepts position with federal courtsBENTON, Mo. — Scott County’s circuit clerk resigned Thursday to accept a job with the federal courts. Christy M. Hency confirmed Aug. 2 will be her last day as the Scott County Circuit Clerk. Hency...
Red Cross: Blood needed, upcoming drives scheduledSIKESTON — The American Red Cross is facing an emergency blood shortage after a significant shortfall in blood donations during the Fourth of July holiday week and ongoing challenges finding new...
One Stoddard County teacher spends her mornings in China (sort of)“It’s an exciting way to begin the day,” an enthusiastic Becky Arnold observes. “My Chinese students get me revved up, and I carry that energy into my own sixth-grade classroom.” Arnold, a rural...
Area under excessive heat warning until Sunday nightPADUCAH, Ky. — All of Southeast Missouri is under an excessive heat warning through Sunday. With afternoon maximum heat index values reaching 105 to 110 degrees, the National Weather Service issued...
- SEMO Food Bank receives grant for child hunger relief in Scott, New Madrid Counties (7/19/19)
- SCTC teacher among semifinalists from across country for teaching excellence prize (7/19/19)
- Pavement repairs being made (7/17/19)
- New Kelly superintendent receives welcome (7/16/19)
- ‘Stop the Violence’ community event a success (7/16/19)
- Saint Francis to forbid physicians from medical marijuana certification (7/16/19)
- Rodeo queens crowned (7/15/19)
- Caruthersville teen killed in one-car accident Sunday (7/15/19)
- Band of brothers: 11-year-old Portageville twins rock music world (7/12/19)
- Oran set to celebrate 150th birthday with prayer service, festival (7/12/19)
Latest State & Nation News
- Treat pitches gem, Charleston Fighting Squirrels move to 2-0 in pool playCHARLESTON, Mo. — It was deja vu for the Charleston Fighting Squirrels on Friday evening, in the second night of pool play, at the Senior Babe Ruth Midwest Plains Regional. Dawson Treat took the ball against the Perfectos, in a Missouri matchup, that saw each team win one game in the previous two head-to-head contests. Charleston edged the Perfectos in their first meeting, 8-7, while the Perfectos returned the favor in the Senior Babe Ruth State Tournament, 3-2...
- Five area football players represent Lions Club All-Star game Saturday (7/20/19)
- A living legacy: Former SEMO soccer player still making impact long after her passing (7/20/19)
- Bats continue to sizzle as Catfish extend winning streak to six games with 11-1 victory (7/20/19)
- SEMO football players have a bright present, now they are prepping for the future (7/20/19)
- MOVING ON: A pair of area youth softball teams advance to the Babe Ruth League World Series in two weeks (7/19/19)
Recent goodbyes were tough but not the end (7/20/19)It’s never easy saying goodbye, and here at the Standard Democrat we have been saying goodbye quite a bit. At the end of May we said goodbye to our publisher, Mike Jensen. After 48 years, Mike, whose...
Earthquake threat is real, and we must be prepared (7/13/19)As Californians spent last weekend being shaken and rattled by earthquakes, a lot of us in Southeast Missouri sat up and took notice before going on with our day. Since I’ve been little, and that was...
Times are changin’ with the legalization of pot (7/6/19)I recently sat in a Sikeston City Council meeting and heard something I never thought I would hear a decade ago: city officials discussing medical marijuana dispensaries. In the November election,...
Rain, rain go away (6/29/19)As I made my latest trip to the hardware store to pick up wood and nails, I once again had to dodge big puddles in the road and use an umbrella to keep from getting soaked as I walked in and out of...
Ban on shooting fireworks in Sikeston should remain (6/22/19)Pop. Boom. Bang. Anyone inside the city limits of Sikeston have heard these noises near the Fourth of July despite the fact there is a ban on selling and shooting fireworks inside the city limits....
Regina Spier (7/19/19)BENTON, Mo. — Regina Morene Spier, 73, July 16, 2019, at Clearview Nursing Center in Sikeston. Born March 3, 1946, at Morehouse, daughter of Morris B. and Bessie M. Downs Moore, she worked at Havco...
Carl Western (7/19/19)SIKESTON — Carl Gene Western, 70, died July 18, 2019, at Missouri Delta Medical Center in Sikeston. Born Dec. 3, 1948, in Bement, son of the late Jim and Carrie Carlyle Western, he had served in the...
Alan Long (7/19/19)LEESBURG, Ala. — Alan Eugene Long, age 69, passed away July 14, 2019, at Riverview Regional Medical Center in Gadsden. He was born July 26, 1949, in Grayridge, Mo., to the late James Ray Long and...
Nellie Vinson (7/19/19)CANTON, Ga. — Nellie Darlene Vinson, age 91, a longtime resident of Sikeston, Mo., passed away peacefully in Canton on June 29, 2019, with family by her side. She was born Aug. 7, 1927, in Clarksville, Ark., and was the daughter of John and Flossie Vangilder...
Gearline Jones (7/18/19)CHICAGO — Gearline “Gearl” Jones, 79, died July 5, 2019. Born Jan. 15, 1940, in Charleston, Mo., daughter of the late Elnora Butler and Grant Foster, where she received her education. She moved to Chicago. She was also preceded in death by her stepfather, John Jones; three children, Cynthia, Bobby Louis and Sharon (James); six brothers, Randy, LD, Freddy, Allen “Sleepy,” Aaron “Boo Boo,” and George; and two sisters, Barbara Ann and Madine...
Georgia Marvel (7/18/19)CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. — Georgia Querita Marvel, 83, died July 17, 2019, at Fountainbleau Lodge in Cape Girardeau. Born Sept. 28, 1935, in Hartman, Ark., daughter of the late John William and Jessie Jane Dorney Scott, she had lived in the Grayridge area for many years. She worked as a CNA at the Reeves Nursing Home and was of the Christian belief...
- Executive Director
- FOR SALE
- MILL EQUIPMENT
- Cafeteria Workers
- POLICE OFFICER
- Community Resource
- RN or LPN
- NEWSPAPER CARRIER
- Ferrell Excavating
- Pat's Variety
- PART & FULL TIME HELP
- FLEET MANAGER
- Cook / Bus Driver
- CONDO FOR SALE
- Now Hiring
- Prairie Grove Apartments
- CDL DRIVERS
- Postions Available
- CONCRETE WORK
- Human Resources/Safety
- PAUL'S RECYCLING
- Sweet Corn
- Garage Sales Week of 7/17
- Legal Assistant
- Dog Shampoo
- Police Officers